Occupation: Executive Assistant
Employer: Broadway Center for the Performing Arts
Gets Around By: Walking
1. Where do you live and where to you work? I live on South 7th and Tacoma and work at the Broadway Center for the Performing Arts (9th & Broadway).
2. How do you get there? 98% of the time I walk. The only time I drive is for offsite meeting days.
3. How does it all add up? How much money or time do you save? Once I started working here my car died, so instead of paying for a new car, insurance and gas, I chose to hoof it around town. We still have one car that we share, but I save around $300 plus a month by not driving. Plus it takes longer to get in the car, drive seven blocks, park and then pay than it does to walk the seven blocks.
4. What’s in it for you? I find it nice that I force myself to exercise by walking. You get to experience the neighborhood and enjoy the businesses that you would normally speed by in your car. Tacoma is such a beautiful place, especially downtown, and walking helps me enjoy where I live.
5. Do you have any tips for people who might be trying this mode for the first time? Always be aware of your surroundings, cars do not always follow the crosswalk rules. Buy a good pair of rubber boots and a great umbrella, and you are set for fall walking. Broadway, Opera Alley and Pacific are my favorite streets due to the amount of activity and businesses to enjoy.