Transportation Innovators were honored at the Chamber Luncheon on Oct. 11, 2013 in Downtown On the Go’s annual luncheon. Event attendees also heard from Pierce Transit, the City of Tacoma and Washington State Department of Transportation about their work in transportation.
Congratulations to our 2013 award winners!
- Live Downtown Awards: Julie Swenson (Evergreen Home Loans), Vue 25, and Broadway Center for the Performing Arts for their work in encouraging downtown employees to Live Downtown.
- Big Step/Bold Program: Zipcar for their work in promoting sustainable commute modes through their Tacoma carshare program.
- Biking Strong Award: Rusty George Creative for their work in promoting biking to work and Bike Month 2013.
- Advocacy Award: Karen Bunger for promoting healthy commute options and dedicating time and energy to Downtown On the Go’s mission.
- Walk Tacoma Award: South Sound American Heart Association Division for their exemplary partnership in promoting healthy transportation options through Walk Tacoma.
- Board Member Extraordinaire Award: Patti Sutton (Propel Insurance) for more than four years of service and leadership in carrying out Downtown On the Go’s mission.
Each year, Downtown On the Go honors downtown businesses for their exemplary work in sustainable transportation and commute options through their Transportation Innovator Awards The awards acknowledge and celebrate work being done that helps meet the DOTG goal of reducing the number of single-occupancy vehicles by 11 percent by 2015. Awards are given in the following categories:
Live Downtown Program
Awarded to the business or individual who has gone above and beyond in promoting the Live Downtown program to incentivize living close to work.
Awarded to the business or individual who has made a difference for downtown Tacoma through transportation advocacy at the local, state or federal level.
Awarded to the business or individual who is a leader year-round in promoting, education and encouraging bicycling as a commute mode; and creating opportunities for bicycling through the provision of bike parking for employees and customers, bike infrastructure, or showers. Honoring those who work to make downtown Tacoma more bike-friendly through their business or their work.
Bold Step/Big Program
Awarded to the business or individual who made a bold change in practice or policy to create opportunities for transportation options.
Awarded to the business or individual who is instrumental in the success of our Walk Tacoma series and a year-round promoter of walking as a commute mode through education and/or incentives to get our and be active on the streets of Tacoma. Honoring those who work to make downtown Tacoma more vibrant and walkable.
Innovative Parking Solutions
Awarded to the business or individual who has made a difference through parking policy, promotion, pricing or education. Honoring businesses who have utilized creative partnerships or use of spaces. This can include parking for cars, carpools, vanpools, bicycles, motorcycles or scooters.